Saturday, February 2, 2013

Memrising

 Okay, I promised a post on Memrise so here it is.
 Memrise is great but flawed. It's not as good at some things as a true flashcard program like Anki, but there are some cool things here and they are why I use it.
 Memrise is an online program for associating bits of information with other bits. When it comes to language, this is usually words and glosses.
 You're presented with the information and at the same time you're given a choice of user mnemonics or memory tricks to remember it á la Heisig. You can also write your own, which you can associate with a picture from their database or upload.
 There are several as you're tested: by having to click the word, or its definition, or you're given the word and have to type the definition, or vice versa.
 My problem with these kinds of things is that I get bored hammering stuff into my head, tho I do quite well at this. There are problems due to growing pains with the site but I learned the Esperanto correlatives like a pro with it. I'm also writing my own courses. for several planned languages, tho I feel like focusing on Esperanto right now...and French, then Spanish.
 It also has the single best setup for learning the places of the predicates in lojban, if that's your thing.
 There are also all-image courses e.g. Japanese.

No comments:

Post a Comment