Saturday, February 9, 2013

Language hunting & my prosody wiki

This is amazing and shows you how eliciting an entire language's grammar can work fairly painlessly. It also shows why some redundancies I've noticed in the process are important. Here's another video. This time it's the astonishingly hard-to-pronounce Georgian language being hunted.
  Right now I'm working on a language hunt for Esperanto with anyone I can snare, but I have to get over this laryngitis first. Esperanto is coming along; I've already read several forum posts. I think I have memrise to thank for teaching me the correlatives, and the Intense-EO flash card app, as well as the fantastic lernu! website with its automatic translations.
  This is my wiki about intonation. I'm sorry its so bare and forlorn but I have a wikiPad with a lot of information on my desktop. I think it's going to be hopelessly messy no matter how I start it so I should just get this thing together anyway. One thing is that I may need to split the wiki according to accent which I'm not looking forward to, but it all depends on who joins up on it.
  I've mentioned French is coming along fairly well albeit slowly. I've given up on buying stuff in French because I don't have the resources anymore. Comics just keep climbing in price.
  Y'know what I've never seen before? Pictures and poems together. That would be gorgeous. I guess in anthologies they go together but they're not usually visually juxtaposed. I think I've seen that with Japanese tho e.g. Karuta cards.  Speaking of karuta, I've been thinking of printing a deck for my friends when they visit for the first time in a year since finishing school. I found this awesome website.
  I've been practicing my ocarina too. It's a transverse 12-hole model and my substitute lately for talking what with this laryngitis.  I picked up a sogeum PVC flute off eBay too recently, but that won't come for a while.  I'm thinking about picking up PVC whistles off Becker too. They're very affordable.  I wanted to buy a PVC flute but I haven't found anyone yet. I already have a shakuhachi but it's really difficult to play and requires a lot of breath.  I don't want to make my own because I don't have the time or the skills. Conceivably, one could make a Bohlen Pierce flute or whistle but its more of the same, I mean in terms of difficulty. There are also no plans available.  That scale would suit the ethos of the shakuhachi well tho. OTOH these are all kind of goofy anachronisms...I mean, the appeal lies in the potential for using these woodwinds as clubs am I right? Because that's the real benefit to using PVC, tough and cheap. At least, that's true of the shakuhachi (it was designed as a weapon first, instrument second.) This, despite the fact the design predates PVC.
  Meanwhile I should be composing iPad music for a certain contest...I find the less I think, the easier it is to accomplish things. I have a tendency to just make things balloon out of control when I should be pursuing the opportunities available to me in the moment. Planning, planning, while nothing is happening, and then forgetting the plans.
  I've practiced pen shorthand too and I've found that its not too hard to write at 80 words per minute.  I gave up Plover tho. The computer keyboards, even if they have NKRO, aren't suited for shorthand IMO, so it's a waste of time or worse.
  I still really love pen shorthand. It's gorgeous and easy, but the more I'm used to writing the more I get annoyed with it. Writing really doesn't cut it as an information transmission vehicle. My reading shorthand is finally catching up to my writing. Maybe my attitude will change the more I practice? I doubt it tho. How does anyone ever write a book? Dragon was my saving grace until I contracted this laryngitis. Man is it annoying.
  On the other forefront, I'm considering a special business venture. I've still got to think it thru. I'm not sure how I would start it.

No comments:

Post a Comment