Friday, May 17, 2013

Uptalk

  I think I previously discussed my idea for an ASL/English/partial relex. I stumbled on some information for English's discourse intonation patterns since then and I have also thought about the general prosodic patterns, and I think I have an answer. Like many things, it's synergy
  English's uptalk pattern is interesting and somewhat novel and alien. I have thought about it before, but it seems ideal here after all, not just as a joke.
  The thing about uptalk, is how it is so full of filler and unusual rhetorical tricks. Vocal fry goes hand in hand. Someone said it sounds really aggressive and I would agree. It is ideal for a conlang because people revel in it, who use it, and it's empowering, and it holds the floor wonderfully. It's not some wimpy speech thing, it's demanding and pushy. When that's coupled with language learners demanding to be given the floor and hold it, it is both obnoxious and charming.
  The pacing is especially useful, because the rate of speech of someone talking is rather slow, often, and not that diversified. Using filler words like "thing(y)" and "stuff" is great for learners too. Uptalk and slang are where I would rather be, and I think they represent the turning of 2000 years of argument centering around explicit logical form and argumentation. Now it's back to informality and tribalism.
  Uptalk reminds me of questioning speech that invites the listener in, but also the continuation pattern in English, like in French at the end of prosodic words (coincidence?)--meaning it might seem like an invitation, but it's possibly just the speaker stalling for time, like a tag "um" or "y'know".

No comments:

Post a Comment