Sunday, April 21, 2013

Duolingo

  I've been going steady with this service for quite awhile now and I'm very impressed. Basically, its very basic but comprehensive. My only concern is that I won't be able to keep my pace up, because I have to revisit sections now because they're still adding new material. Each section grows, so you revisit sections on, for example, food with new vocabulary and expressions after a time. You go through new sections to unlock more things, but obviously if you have to redo the same stuff it's hard to grow. In a way it reminds me of the skill grid in a game like final fantasy 10 (ten or x—lol) except instead of battle you do tests. I'm good at tests but it's a little disheartening to strike out occasionally like I do, or only get one heart out of three (plus 10 for making it at all—but I get hung up on is junk).  Speaking of hang-ups, I always say "How fascinating!" and row my arms up whenever I make it or screw-up. It's supposed to release illogical, unnecessary negativity and make criticism fit in its place rather than take over and discourage your perspective because, let's be realistic, it's a fantastic thing you're learning language. Mistakes mean you've learned the error of your ways so you have those chances to fix them again. Realizing you forgot also means you remembered! Capiche? Life is about growing, and you are still growing if you are alive. Do stuff that doesn't restrict your growth!

P.S.
I don't think there's any difference between these. These are all ways to ask "What's that?" in French.

...
C'est quoi?
Qu'est-ce?
Quel(le) est-ce?
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
Qu'est-ce que c'est que ça?
I know, right? How fascinating!

P.P.S.
I look forward to reading comics soon, which is really the whole point of all of this. Then I might continue with French For Reading, but even that is really too dry. It should be pretty clear that Duolingo fills a functional gap in learning a language in a fairly traditional way without too much effort. I've had enough classroom training for me, and I am tired of it all.  Hopefully I can fix my mistakes and just speak soon. I can almost hear the language now when I read, which is a personal benchmark that the testing tries to bring out. That's heartening!

No comments:

Post a Comment